Check out Bob Pessemier's interview with our very own Brett Hicks. They discuss social media and public safety in Brett's new book, A Guide to Incorporating Social Media into Public Safety Communications available at Lulu.com.
Here is an excerpt:
While there are some folks in public safety who embrace the idea, many others are still on the fence or down-right resistant to the whole concept. If you are on the fence or holding social media at arm’s length, Brett Hicks is out to change your mind.
Brett has authored A Guide to Incorporating Social Media into Public Safety Communications. This 38 page “How-To” booklet will help you understand what social media can do for your agency and how to get started. The main reasons Brett sees for using social media in public safety are:
- It’s free. Tools like Facebook and Twitter are available at no charge.
- There are real world examples of how social media benefits public safety agencies (he describes some in the guide)
- It is not technically complicated.
Check out the full article at http://www.emergencymgmt.com/emergency-blogs/tips/Social-Media-Just-Won_t-Go-Away–011612.html
- Why use Social Media? Chief Boyd tells us! (idisaster.wordpress.com)
- Stop measuring audience in social media: The Million Dollar Conversation (momecentric.com)